Did you know……..
- Humans have 5 times more capacity to listen than to speak
- Four-fifths of our minds have the opportunity to wander while we listen to someone else
- We tend to spend this time formulating responses based on our own preconceived notions
- We only retain 30 percent of what was said, and only remember ½ of that
- We spend 47 percent of our time writing, typing, speaking or reading
- …and 52 percent of our time listening to others – more than half of our time communicating is spent listening.
The most underused skill in communication is listening. Steven Covey in 7 Habits of Highly Effective People states “seek first to understand, then be understood”.
Listening is not simply waiting for your time to talk. Listening is a choice! You have to decide you want to listen and then actively pursue that choice.
FREE LEADERSHIP ENERGY ASSESSMENTClick here.